Thursday 21 May 2015

Sewing clothes

In the moment I love sewing clothes. You've seen my dress collection lately and now I am into T-Shirts and shorts. It is fun and I learned a lot of new things. 

First, I want to show you the fourth dress. It is for my baby niece and I hope it is usable. I don't think dresses for babys that can't walk jet are any usefull and normally they are not even looking good, because they are always in a huddle around the belly. Therefor I made a top that should reach to the belly and it stays hopefully fix in place. Underneath I fixed a little fluffy fabric. The top is made with the freebook Trotzkopf from Schnabelina and I added the skirt a bit freestyle.
For the colar I tried a new technic that I found here for making hems without open seams. This is a great technic and it worked directly the first time I tried.

Sewing for babys is fun and less risky, because if it doesn't work, I havn't wasted so much fabric. But I also want to sew things that are for my family and I started with a T-Shirt for my youngest. It has been him choosing the fabric combination and where each fabric should go.
It worked so well I couldn't wait to put it on and take the first picture. I used this e-book from pattydoo and I am very happy with it. There are lots of possible variations with the pattern (long sleeve, short sleeve, hoody, different hems) and there is a very detailled video to explain the different steps. Great for beginners and on top the pattern didn't cost much! Definitely this is not the last pattern I bought at pattydoo.
Like I already mentioned some times, my normal sewing machine can't sew elastic seams, so I evoid sewing jersey with it. In this case I cheated for the hem and took the stars fabric double. Collar and arm hems are fixed with the overlock. 
The black middle part of the shirt is a recycled shirt of mine.

I wanted immediately start a T-shirt for my elder son too, but his fabric whishes are not in my drawers. Instead I made some pyjama-shorts for him, recycling an old mens cotton pyjama trousers.

As it has been a big cotton pyjama, I even had enough to make a baby summer trousers with this free-book. It will go to the babyboy of friends in germany and I have to wait for feedback on the fit. 
To make the fabric a little more interesting for kids I applicated some colorful fishes. The bubbles are painted with fabric paint. 
When making a clothes present I like to give a complete outfit, so I sewed a T-Shirt, but I think the different shades of blue and turquoise are not very nice together. I will have to think of something else.
The collar is with the new method I have learned, but for the hem I took the risk with my sewing machine. I put the foot pressure nearly to zero and used a slight zig-zag stitch. The problem when taking of the foot pressure is that the transport is not always regular. But in this case it worked okay and I am quite happy with the result.
This is it for now, but there will be more clothes to follow.

A bientôt,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment