Friday 25 September 2015

Three purses

It's not that I am not sewing or crafting - I'm just not taking photos! 
This is why it is so quiet here. But yesterday I forced myself to take pictures of the purses I made last week.
For the upcoming Christmas-market I thought of maybe selling some purses. Several years ago I made myself a simple one, so I digged out the pattern that has not only a simple version, but also one with a lot of inside pockets. This is the first try:
There are two zipper pockets for coins and four compartments for money and all the other papers, vouchers and receipts that you might collect in your purse. On each side there are two slots to put vertically cards in.
I am used to put my cards horizontal into my purse, so I looked for another pattern. I found this pattern (this link is to a newer version than the one I tried) and tried it out:
This purse is much larger, so you don't have to fold your money. There are two compartments for the money, one zipper pocket for coins, and twelve!! slots for cards. It has been easy sewing also. 
The only thing I dislike is that the purse opens completely, so I imagine that I would regularly drop out half of the content at the supermarket pay desk. I now have seen that there is a tutorial on how to add side wings to hold it together like the first one. 
But this I didn't know last week so I tried a second purse, again with the first pattern, this time with oil-cloth:
I like it not so bad, except for the very last seam that is not straight. As it is visible from the outside, it bothers me a lot and will probably stop me from selling it. 
I tried to put in all the stuff I am having normally in my purse and it actually fits in without making the purse too bold. I could be nearly happy with this pattern, but the vertical cards are standing up a little bit too high on one side and therefor the flap is not closing as nicely as it should. 
Maybe I will modify the pattern a little to make it larger, for not folding any more the money, and making the flap a little longer. Also I wouldn't do the same error with the ugly seam again. I will see, if I have very soft leather to try for the outside. Or, I try again the second pattern with the side modification, so it is not opening any more completely. Or ... or ...
Oh dear, how will I find the time to try all this? I also have a lot of other things to do.

A bientôt,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment