Monday 15 January 2018

A new approach to fabric baskets

Inspired by "patchwork to go" or "quilting as you go" (what I wanted to try out for quite a while but never did), I made this basket by sewing a long band of scraps in spirals on a cylindric fabric tube. Round and round and round! Then I fit in a quilted bottom and covered the edge with a bias tape. Ready!
It is 20cm high and 25x16cm on the basis.
The sewing lines are giving a great stability to the basket. In my case they are 2,3cm apart. I put a third layer between the lining and the outside patchwork to add extra stability (used up an other scrap of a thick fabric).
On the next photo you can see at the bottom edge of the basket that the patchwork lines are ascending and not horizontally. You have to start in a slow angle to get the fabric band in spirals aroung the basket. 
The bottom of the basket is flat quilted and even more stable than the sides, because the quilting lines are denser. The hardest had been to calculate the right size of the bottom so it fits with the cylindric sides that I patched before. I needed two attempts as I had a thinking error in the first go ;-)
This has been so much fun! 
I love the result! 
And I have lots of more ideas and lots and lots of more scraps, so you will soon see my next basket. I give you a hint: I plan something big!

A bientôt,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment